Choosing the right Wok for cooking fried rice isn’t as difficult as it might seem. There are many varieties available, but not all of them are equally good. In this review, I will cover the five best Woks for cooking fried rice, which will help you select the one that is most suitable for your cooking needs.
To help you choose the right Wok for cooking fried rice, I’ve ranked and reviewed the 5 best Wok for cooking fried rice, along with my top 3 picks, so you can pick the best one for your needs.
- Best Overall: Craft Wok Hand Hammered Carbon Steel
- Best Traditional Wok: YOSUKATA Carbon Steel Wok Pan
- Best Hand Hammered Wok: Mammafong Carbon Steel Wok Pan
It is very important that you choose the right size and type of Wok for cooking fried rice, especially if you are going to use it to make your favorite recipe.
In addition, Woks can be used for any kind of cooking but they are usually used for deep-frying. They are also great for stir-frying, braising, making sauces, and creating appetizing foods.
What is The Best Wok for Cooking Fried Rice?
The best Wok for cooking fried rice should feature a uniform heat distribution throughout its surface and be crafted from sturdy and durable materials such as carbon steel or cast iron, which ensure it can withstand the rigors of frequent use.
Additionally, it should have a comfortable handle that enables effortless and smooth maneuverability. The Wok should also be able to stir-fry easily and have good saucing capabilities.
Here are my top picks for the best Wok for cooking fried rice:
- Craft Wok Hand Hammered Carbon Steel
- YOSUKATA Carbon Steel Wok Pan
- Mammafong Carbon Steel Wok Pan
- Willow & Everett Stainless Steel Wok Pan
- Cooks Standard Multi-Ply Clad Wok
If you’re searching for the best Wok to cook fried rice, the Craft Wok Traditional Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Pow Wok is an ideal option to consider. This Wok has a traditional design and is hand hammered by Chinese professionals in Guangzhou, ensuring its quality and authenticity.
One of the key features of this Wok is its steel helper handle that stays cool even when you’re stir-frying over high heat. Additionally, it’s useful for hanging the Wok for storage. Weighing 4.6 pounds (2.1 kg), this Wok is sturdy and heavy, making it perfect for frying rice and other ingredients.
However, keep in mind that this Wok may not be suitable for flat electric or flat induction stoves, and it may rust due to its carbon steel construction. You will need to season the Wok before use, but instructions for easy seasoning are included, and the customer service team is always available to help you through the process.
Overall, if you want to cook authentic fried rice, the Craft Wok Traditional Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Pow Wok is an excellent choice. Its on of the best wok for fried rice due to its traditional design, steel helper handle, and sturdy construction making it an ideal tool for stir-frying, searing, and sautéing.
What I Like/Dislike About Craft Wok:
- Round bottom design for authentic Chinese cooking
- Hand-hammered by Chinese professionals for proven quality
- Steel helper handle for safe and easy handling
- Not suitable for flat electric or flat induction stove
- Requires seasoning before use
Yosukata is a brand that sells some of the best kitchen utensils and tools in the world. Their Woks are very popular and the 14-inch is their top-selling Wok.
This is a pre-seasoned Wok that is made out of carbon steel. It has a large surface area that’s perfect for frying rice, vegetables, or anything else you want to cook.
Its heavy-duty, black carbon steel construction ensures even heat distribution, making it perfect for deep frying and other traditional cooking techniques.
The ergonomic design of the wooden handle ensures a comfortable grip, while its convenient size makes it easy to carry and store.
However, be aware that it requires full seasoning with oil before use, and its round bottom requires a Wok stand for use on a stove. It’s also not dishwasher safe, so be prepared to hand wash it after use.
If you’re looking for a versatile Wok that can handle cooking fried rice and other traditional Asian cooking techniques, the YOSUKATA Carbon Steel Wok Pan is a solid choice.
What I Like/Dislike About YOSUKATA Wok:
- Locks in flavor and juices for the authentic taste
- Ergonomic design ensures a comfortable grip
- Convenient to carry and store
- Requires full seasoning with oil before use
- The round bottom requires a Wok stand for use on the stove
- Not dishwasher safe
Mammafong Wok is made of high-quality carbon steel that is durable and long-lasting, making it a great investment for any kitchen. Plus, it’s authentically hammered by craftsmen in China, so you know you’re getting a truly authentic Chinese Wok.
But what really sets this Wok apart is its ability to create the perfect non-stick surface naturally over time. This means you can use less oil in your cooking, resulting in healthier and lower-fat meals for you and your family.
And let’s not forget about the ultimate goal here – to create the perfect fried rice with that smoky, seared-and-crunchy texture that we all crave.
The Mammafong Wok’s premium carbon steel and heavy gauge body ensure fast heat up and superior heat distribution over the entire cooking surface, enabling you to harness the authentic Wok hei and create an intense flavor and texture that will leave your taste buds singing.
Overall, if you’re serious about cooking up some amazing fried rice, the Mammafong Round Bottom 14-inch Traditional Carbon Steel Wok Pan is the perfect tool for the job. Plus, it makes for an amazing gift for any cook in your life who appreciates a quality Wok.
What I Like/Dislike About Mammafong Wok:
- Made of high-quality carbon steel and hammered by master craftsmen, this Wok is built to last.
- Perfect for cooking fried rice, stir-frying, steaming, and braising.
- The premium carbon steel and heavy gauge body ensure fast heat up and superior heat distribution.
- The Wok needs to be seasoned before use, which may take some time and effort.
- This Wok is only compatible with gas cooktops, so it may not be suitable for those with electric or induction cooktops.
With its adapted traditional round-bottom design and large 13-inch nonstick surface, this Wok pan heats up quickly and evenly, making it perfect for stir fry, steaming, deep frying, boiling, and searing – all the things you need to cook up a delicious batch of fried rice.
What I love about this Wok pan is its heavy-duty design. Made of rust-resistant stainless steel and built with an aluminum core, it’s scratch-resistant and suitable for use on gas, induction, or electric cooktops. The ergonomic handle makes it easy to maneuver, while the included dome lid and bamboo spatula are the perfect accessories to complete the set.
Cooking healthy one-pan dinners has never been easier, faster, or more efficient than with this oversized Wok pan. You can cook up large servings of fried rice and transition them straight to the dining table without ever having to dirty another pan.
And if you’re looking for a great housewarming present, this is the best pan for fried rice, and this nonstick Wok pan with a lid makes for the perfect contribution to the new chapter in your loved one’s life.
What I Like/Dislike About Willow & Everett Wok:
- Stainless steel Wok with rust-resistant and food-safe exterior, and an aluminum core for faster heating.
- 3-layer construction adds durability and strength for a long-lasting addition to your kitchen.
- Weighing 4 pounds, the Wok is sturdy, well-balanced, and less likely to tip or spill during cooking.
- The Wok is not scratch-resistant.
Cooks Standard Wok comes in 13-inch size and high dome lid, this Wok is perfect for whipping up delicious stir fry dishes.
This is made of 18/10 stainless steel with an aluminum core, this Wok heats up quickly and evenly, ensuring your fried rice cooks to perfection.
The solid stainless-steel riveted handles stay cool with air-flow technology, making it easy to move the Wok around the stove as needed.
The secure-fitting stainless-steel dome lid traps heat and moisture, allowing your fried rice to cook to the perfect consistency. And when you’re done cooking, this Wok is dishwasher-safe and oven-safe up to 500 degrees F, making cleanup a breeze.
Whether you’re using a gas, electric, or induction stove, this Wok is compatible with all stovetops.
So if you’re looking for a high-quality Wok that will help you make the best-fried rice you’ve ever tasted, the Cooks Standard Stainless Steel Multi-Ply Clad Wok is a perfect choice.
What I Like/Dislike About Cooks Standard Wok:
- The excellent heat distribution and durability, make it a great long-term investment for your kitchen.
- Compatible with gas, electric, and induction stovetops, making it a versatile addition to any kitchen.
- The 7-quart capacity of this Wok is ideal for cooking large meals, making it perfect for families or entertaining guests.
- The solid stainless-steel riveted handles stay cool with air-flow technology.
- This Wok is dishwasher-safe and oven-safe up to 500 degrees F.
- The weight of this Wok, due to its multi-ply construction, can make it difficult to handle for some users.
- While the high dome lid is great for trapping heat and moisture, it may make it difficult to store the Wok in a cabinet or drawer with limited space.
Considerations When Buying Wok for Cooking Fried Rice
Fried rice is a popular dish in many cultures and is often cooked in a Wok. A Wok is a versatile cooking utensil that can be used for a variety of cooking methods, including stir-frying, deep-frying, and steaming.
Choosing the right one for cooking fried rice can make a big difference in the taste and texture of your dish.
Here are some considerations to keep in mind when choosing the best Wok for cooking fried rice.
Type of Wok
The type of Wok you choose can have a significant impact on how well your fried rice turns out. There are several types of Woks to consider:
- Carbon Steel Woks: These are the most traditional type of Wok and are highly recommended for cooking fried rice. They are durable, heat up quickly, and distribute heat evenly. However, they do require seasoning before use and must be cared for properly to prevent rust.
- Non-Stick Woks: These Woks are coated with a non-stick surface, making them easy to clean and maintain. However, they may not heat up as quickly or evenly as carbon steel Woks and may not produce the same level of flavor.
- Stainless Steel Woks: These are durable and easy to clean, but may not be the best choice for cooking fried rice as they do not conduct heat as well as carbon steel Woks.
The size of your Wok will depend on the amount of fried rice you plan to make. A 12-inch Wok is usually sufficient for cooking fried rice for a small family, while a 14-inch Wok is better for larger groups.
The shape of your Wok can affect how easy it is to cook fried rice. A round-bottomed Wok is the most traditional shape and is ideal for stir-frying.
However, it may not be as stable on a flat surface, so it’s important to use a Wok ring to keep it steady. A flat-bottomed Wok is more stable but may not be as easy to stir-fry in.
The handles of your Wok should be sturdy and comfortable to grip. They should also be heat-resistant, so you can safely move the Wok around while cooking. Look for Woks with long handles that are securely attached to the Wok itself.
Woks can vary in price from less than $20 to over $100. While a higher price does not always guarantee better quality, investing in a high-quality Wok can make a big difference in the taste and texture of your fried rice.
Some Woks come with additional features, such as a lid or a steaming rack. While these features may be convenient, they are not essential for cooking fried rice.
There you have it – my list of the top Woks. As there are 5 options, I’ve condensed the list down to the best so you can choose the right option for your cooking needs.
As per my experience, a carbon steel Wok is often the best choice for cooking fried rice, but ultimately, the right Wok for you will depend on your personal preferences and cooking needs.
Each Wok selected above has its own special features that can suit your needs. So, choose carefully to make sure you have perfect fried rice.